Retail is one of OC&C’s longest-standing strengths –as recognized by our team achieving the highest possible score in the Financial Times' UK Leading Management Consultants 2018. We collaborate globally to serve clients of all varieties and sizes, from multinational grocery giants through to nascent online category specialists:
- Our grocery team partners with market leaders in the UK and around the world to deliver strategic, transformational, and operational projects. Our clients tell us they see us as their 'go to' thought partner for the key strategic and commercial issues they face.
- In apparel, we bring experience from across the value chain to help retailers successfully address consumers' rapidly evolving expectations. By taking a holistic view of proposition and supply chain, we deliver recommendations tailored to both client and customer.
- Multi-category: We work together with 'big box' retailers and department stores to tackle the key questions facing senior management. Our experience covers a broad spectrum of questions including Category Strategy, Operating Model Re-Design, and International Expansion.
- Specialty & Luxury: We have deep expertise across the broad spectrum of categories within retail, ranging from Discount to Luxury, and from Juvenile to Pets.
- Disruptive Digital Models: Routes to market are changing fast: platforms, social shopping, and direct to consumer are core concepts today that were rarely mentioned ten years ago. We work with retailers to better understand customer needs and missions, and use this to design routes to market and operating models, which deliver real competitive advantage.
The retail landscape has changed immeasurably in recent years driven by a rapidly evolving channel landscape, rapid swings in global and local economies, and increasing globalization of the consumer. Against this rapidly evolving backdrop our customer-centric approach, robust analytical mindset, and dedication to working in partnership with senior management have never been more relevant.
We bring an unparalleled understanding of the customer, and a determined, analytical mindset to deliver results together with retailers globally
Opinion: The new channel split is buying vs shopping
Online retail took a big step forward during lockdown but it still cannot capture the experience of shopping, while physical retail faces its own post-pandemic challenge
How to win the retail sustainability game in 2020
Consumer attitudes to ethical consumerism are unrecognisable from a decade ago. In 2010, the public agenda was just beginning to shame the likes of the fur trade. But now, the far-reaching topic of ‘sustainability’ tops the CEO’s agenda
It's the uncertainty not the hardship that's so difficult
It's hard to find the right hyperbole to describe these extraordinary times that we find ourselves in. Today more than a quarter of the world's population are operating under lockdown with this number continuing to escalate rapidly
Opinion: Coronavirus accelerates us to a retail tipping point
In a crisis as big as this one, acting on the immediate challenges is critical. Thinking about the longer term may seem impossible, or at least deferrable. But in many ways, it is even more important
The perils of short-term reward
The blindingly obvious statement that many established retailers have failed to react decisively enough to structural shifts in the industry risks overlooking a more profound question
What HK should do to enhance image as shopping paradise
We have now seen ten consecutive months of double-digit year-on-year retail sales declines in Hong Kong. Retailers are wondering if there will be a recovery soon and how much recovery they can expect
Making life sustainable
The 10th edition of our annual survey on how the world’s consumers rate their leading retailers marks the most volatile year of change in retailer ratings in its history
What’s in store for retail analytics?
At OC&C we’re increasingly deploying our big data analytics capability in Retail. As we support retailers with analytics, we’re looking at what’s new and what’s to expect in the next 12 months
What does COSTCO's successful debut in China tell us about today's retail market?
So far China has been a very challenging market for global retailers. As our China retail expert and partner Jack Chuang commented - it is hard for foreign retailers to fully localise a well-proven 'home' market model for China
Making plus size profitable
Plus sized clothing is one of the fastest growing sectors in UK fashion retail, but it is not without challenges
Opinion: Stores can beat online by avoiding tyranny of choice
Bricks-and-mortar retailers who want to beat the online giants could do worse than listen to the wisdom of philosophers like Kierkegaard – or Homer Simpson – says Michael Jary
How SheIn cracked the Gen Z online fashion market
The Chinese online fashion store SheIn is a phenomenon in the UK, rocketing from 500,000 to 4 million unique monthly visitors in just six months
Speed only matters if you're headed in the right direction
The retail world has changed from one where a once captive customer now has effective and instantaneous choice: for the average consumer, the number of 'accessible' retailers has expanded from 300 to over 800,000 in the last generation
Love & money: a deep dive into Alibaba’s Hema
The omnichannel buzz word has been omnipresent in most retailers’ vocabulary in recent years. A majority of them are painstakingly trying to integrate multiple online and offline touchpoints from discovery to purchase and services into a seamless and convenient journey for the customer
Craving that physical contact?
The idea of a store that curates a range of interesting and relevant products in an inspiring environment is not a new one
High Velocity Retail
We partnered with the World Retail Congress to bring you the exclusive High Velocity Retail report. In formulating this report, we interviewed the leaders of global retailers from across the evolutionary spectrum to understand how they are developing their businesses within a High Velocity Retail world.