Retail is one of OC&C’s longest-standing strengths –as recognized by our team achieving the highest possible score in the Financial Times' UK Leading Management Consultants 2018. We collaborate globally to serve clients of all varieties and sizes, from multinational grocery giants through to nascent online category specialists:
- Our grocery team partners with market leaders in the UK and around the world to deliver strategic, transformational, and operational projects. Our clients tell us they see us as their 'go to' thought partner for the key strategic and commercial issues they face.
- In apparel, we bring experience from across the value chain to help retailers successfully address consumers' rapidly evolving expectations. By taking a holistic view of proposition and supply chain, we deliver recommendations tailored to both client and customer.
- Multi-category: We work together with 'big box' retailers and department stores to tackle the key questions facing senior management. Our experience covers a broad spectrum of questions including Category Strategy, Operating Model Re-Design, and International Expansion.
- Specialty & Luxury: We have deep expertise across the broad spectrum of categories within retail, ranging from Discount to Luxury, and from Juvenile to Pets.
- Disruptive Digital Models: Routes to market are changing fast: platforms, social shopping, and direct to consumer are core concepts today that were rarely mentioned ten years ago. We work with retailers to better understand customer needs and missions, and use this to design routes to market and operating models, which deliver real competitive advantage.
The retail landscape has changed immeasurably in recent years driven by a rapidly evolving channel landscape, rapid swings in global and local economies, and increasing globalization of the consumer. Against this rapidly evolving backdrop our customer-centric approach, robust analytical mindset, and dedication to working in partnership with senior management have never been more relevant.
We bring an unparalleled understanding of the customer, and a determined, analytical mindset to deliver results together with retailers globally
The future of retail in Hong Kong
We have now seen ten consecutive months of double-digit year-on-year retail sales declines in Hong Kong. Retailers are wondering if there will be a recovery soon and how much recovery they can expect
Making life sustainable
The 10th edition of our annual survey on how the world’s consumers rate their leading retailers marks the most volatile year of change in retailer ratings in its history
Making plus size profitable
Plus sized clothing is one of the fastest growing sectors in UK fashion retail, but it is not without challenges
Opinion: Stores can beat online by avoiding tyranny of choice
Bricks-and-mortar retailers who want to beat the online giants could do worse than listen to the wisdom of philosophers like Kierkegaard – or Homer Simpson – says Michael Jary
How SheIn cracked the Gen Z online fashion market
The Chinese online fashion store SheIn is a phenomenon in the UK, rocketing from 500,000 to 4 million unique monthly visitors in just six months
Love & money: a deep dive into Alibaba’s Hema
The omnichannel buzz word has been omnipresent in most retailers’ vocabulary in recent years. A majority of them are painstakingly trying to integrate multiple online and offline touchpoints from discovery to purchase and services into a seamless and convenient journey for the customer
High Velocity Retail
We partnered with the World Retail Congress to bring you the exclusive High Velocity Retail report. In formulating this report, we interviewed the leaders of global retailers from across the evolutionary spectrum to understand how they are developing their businesses within a High Velocity Retail world.
A perfect fit
The global market for apparel presents both challenge and opportunity. To be a winner, a brand must plot an ever more careful path: there is little scope to get it wrong
Winning hearts and minds
The UK retail industry is not for the faint-hearted: retailers continue to feel the heat from pressure on consumer spending and new and disruptive competitive models
Bridging the trust gap
After a three-year slowdown in 2013-2015, the China luxury market is back on a solid growth trajectory
The first rule of disruption
At the annual OC&C and Financo Retail CEO Forum, we heard first-hand how retail sector 'disruptors' think about the changing shape of the industry
Partnering to win in retail's digital age
For the last three years we have been living in the era of M-commerce: smartphones now represent over 50% of all online retail transactions and retail search queries across the UK, France and Germany
9 golden rules of global retail customer behaviour
We have worked with many major retailers around the world analysing large amounts of customer data. While every business is unique, as are its customers, experience has taught us that certain common threads or golden rules will always be present
Ringing the changes
As the UK retail industry plots its path through an uncertain trading environment, the battle for supremacy has never been more intense
Overall retail LFLs were up by 1.0% in Christmas 2016 (as measured by the BRC average) — after 4 years of broadly flat LFL growth